HARRIMAN POLICE OFFICER CAREERS
Certified Hourly rate is between $17.00+ and $18.00+ /hour (entry-level or lateral)
Applications (online only) will be accepted until midnight, Saturday, September 14, 2019.
Description of Position:
This is general and varied duty police work in the protection of life and property through the
enforcement of laws and ordinances. Work involves the responsibility for performing routine
police assignments that are received from dispatch, police officers of superior rank.
Examples of Work; (Any one position of this class may not include all duties included, nor do
listed examples include all duties that may be found in positions of this class.):
• Patrols a designated area of the city on foot or in a radio cruiser to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of a crime, and to enforce traffic and parking
• Answers calls for service and complaints involving felonies, misdemeanors, city
administrative codes, civil codes and other crimes as defined in the Tennessee Codes
Annotated and City Charter.
• At the scene of a crime administers first aid, conducts preliminary investigations, gathers evidence, obtains witnesses, and makes arrests; testifies as a witness in court.
• Directs traffic at intersections; participates in escorting funerals and house-movers.
• Performs other related police duties as assigned.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to cope with situations firmly, courteously, tactfully, and with respect for the rights of
• Ability to analyze situations quickly and objectively, and to determine the proper course of
action to be taken.
• Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
• Ability to write and speak effectively.
• Ability to develop skill in the use and care of firearms.
• Good general intelligence and emotional stability.
• Willingness to cooperate with officials and other police officers.
• Willingness to learn and increase skill in police work.
Graduation from an accredited high school or possess a valid certificate of equivalency issued by a state department of education.
Preference may be given to applicants with a formal college education
Necessary Special Requirements:
Must be not less than twenty-one (21)
Must meet medical and physical standards
Must be a citizen of the United States and a resident of Tennessee at the time of appointment.
Pursuant to TCA 38-8-106 (Qualifications for Police Officers) the following requirements must be met:
Must be at least 18 years of age.
Must be a citizen of the United States.
High School Diploma or Equivalent.
Must not have been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor involving “moral turpitude” as the term is defined by law and not have been released or discharged under any other than honorable conditions from any of the armed forces of the United States.
Successful completion of a physical examination by a licensed physician.
Have good moral character.
Be free from all apparent mental disorders as described in the Diagnosis and Statistical
Manual of Mental Disorders of the American Psychiatric Association, and be certified as meeting these criteria by a qualified professional in the psychiatric and psychological fields.
Complete and Pass an Extensive Background Investigation which will include but is not limited to: